Claudio E. Cabrera
An accomplished award-winning journalist and SEO expert with extensive experience in both digital and print journalism, and a successful track record of building brands with targeted strategies in the fields of journalism, public relations, search engine optimization and social media.
- Winner, 2006 Independent Press Association Award – Best Article on Social, Racial or Immigration Issue titled “Punishing Phone Call Tax for Families”
- Selected as a guest analyst on NBC for their “Super Tuesday” coverage in 2008 headlined by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
- One of twenty applicants selected out of over 700 to attend the 2007 National Conference of Editorial Writers.
- Partnered with The White House for an event titled “Open Questions With InteractiveOne,” in which President Obama appeared and spoke to the readers of NewsOne.com.
- Under my leadership, NewsOne.com was named the best news site on the Internet for African Americans in 2010.
Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY
Bachelor of Arts Degree, Journalism 2008
BlackEnterprise.com, New York, NY (July 2012 – Present)
Position: Audience Engagement & Marketing Manager/ Editor
- In the first two months at the company, I helped increase traffic from an average of 245,000 clicks a month for the last two years to an average of 361,000 in August and September.
- Increased ComScore from 149 in July to 226 in August and 228 in September for the site’s largest increase ever.
- Helped create sales campaigns for State Farm, Wells Fargo, Wal-Mart and Dell and manage the campaigns and decide the specific channels that would work best.
- Created traffic exchanges and social media linking partnerships with various sites in both the black news space and mainstream media arena.
- Properly optimize the site’s back-end with proper meta-tagging and keywords for Google site crawls
- Edit and SEO all posts before they go for publication live on the site
- Launched a monthly speaker series where respected
- Optimized over 1,200 articles that were not optimized before my arrival, from 2010-2012
- Launched a daily 9 a.m. meeting in which all staff members discuss Google trends and areas of news that are fresh pertain to their specific channels. The goal is to develop content that is current and trending
- Launched the creation of the Black Enterprise news division and in 3 months it has gone from the 16th top channel on the site to first. It accumulated 111,000 pageviews from Jan-June and since my arrival has accumulated 531,000 pageviews to become tops on the site in a 3 month period.
- Launched Twitter chats with experts in various fields to serve and educate our large social media audience both on Twitter and Facebook
SEO & Analytics Consultant (December 2011 – September 2012)
- Increased traffic at EURweb.com by over 100 percent in 8 months raising the monthly unique visitor number from 540,000 to as high as 1.2 million.
- Increased traffic at Loop21.com by over 130 percent in 8 months raising the monthly visitor unique number from 75,000 to 205,000.
- Led the efforts of back-end development work on both the Loop21.com and EURweb.com so the sites are properly optimized and can compete effectively in their respective news space.
- Created weekly posts on each platform that focused on trends from Google and Yahoo Buzz Index that fit with the editorial content and voice of their websites.
- Struck strategic partnerships with sites such as the Huffington Post, MadameNoire, The Daily Beast, Essence, InteractiveOne, Newser, New York Daily News and countless others.
NewsOne.Com, New York, NY (July 2010 — November 2011)
Position: Lead Editor
- Increased unique visitor traffic in 16 months from 600k to a 1.5 million monthly average with targeted SEO strategies.
- Landed traffic sharing deals with mainstream news websites like Newser, The Huffington Post, Fox News, The Daily Beast and Newsweek for a minimum of 50,000 clicks monthly.
- Created the company’s Facebook and Twitter pages garnering 12,000 fans and over 5,000 followers in an eight month period.
- Grew ComScore number by 450 points in 12 months from 530-980.
- Led a complete site redesign
- Created the site’s first video franchise, “On The Corner.”
- Increased the site’s pageviews by over 200 percent in a 16 month period.
- Coordinated and assisted on major sales campaigns with Volvo, U.S. Army, BP Oil, Walmart and Schick.
Great Seats LTD, New York, NY (April 2009 – April 2010)
Position: Online Marketing Manager
- Increased online sales on mediums like Stubhub, TicketNetwork, TicketsNow and RazorGator by over 30 percent.
- Launched the company’s Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook presence.
- Created the company’s email newsletter blast which served over 20,000 clients.
- Served as the company’s traveling sales and business development representative flying across the country to acquire new clients. Acquired over 30 clients (Fortune 500 companies/individuals) for a total of over $250,000 in annual sales.
Yoonew Inc., New York, NY (June 2008 – January 2009)
Position: Online Communications Manager
- Launched the company blog, the Yoonewverse, and grew traffic to 30,000 unique visitors in a span of six months.
- Struck a partnership deal with NFL team, the St. Louis Rams, to help improve the team’s ticket selling strategies and social media presence.
- Launched the company’s social media presence on sites like Facebook, MySpace, and YouTube.
- Landed press for the company in newspapers and websites like the Miami Herald, Arizona Republic, Yahoo Sports, and Texas Statesman.
- Created and coordinated a month long tour throughout the U.S. to promote and expand the visibility of the Yoonew brand at various sports venues (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, Denver, etc) across the country.
- Increased sales by 20 percent through organic search.
- Created the company’s customer service manual and referral program.
- Created keyword analysis and pay per click campaigns.
DNAinfo.com (July 2012 – Present)
Position: Freelance Writer
- Cover local news issues in the Washington Heights and Inwood communities of NYC.
Manhattan Times & Bronx Free Press (July 2010 – Present)
Position: Freelance Writer
- Write stories on a weekly basis in both Spanish and English focusing on the predominantly Dominican neighborhoods of Washington Heights and Inwood in NYC
BleacherReport.com, San Francisco, CA (August 2009 – December 2009)
- Created a college recruitment plan in which we partnered with journalism departments in major universities and colleges across the country to attract prospective sports journalists.
- Edited over 50 stories a week.
New York Amsterdam News, New York, NY (September 2005 – September 2007)
Position: Freelance Writer
- Wrote over 80 stories focusing on the African American communities across the different neighborhoods of New York City.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bilingual – Spanish.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Omniture